What is important to children in care and care leavers?
The questions in our surveys were developed with children in care and care leavers, to reflect the things they felt made their lives good.
Children and young people stressed the how certain financial and practical resources had an impact on their well-being, especially those that helped them connect with the world & people in their lives.
The questions we ask around financial and practical resources include:
- Access to internet where young people live.
We also ask care leavers about whether they:
- Have smart phones.
- Can afford their phone bills.
- Feel they are coping financially.
How are local authorities supporting children and young people’s access to financial and practical resources?
- ‘Reality Cheque’: Promoting awareness of care leavers’ financial circumstances(Sep 2020) Sheffield
- Personal Budgets to give care leavers more control over money is spent support financial planning(Oct 2020) Stockport
- Water rate discounts to help care leavers cope financially(Nov 2020) Coventry
- ‘Come Dine with Us’: monthly group sessions to develop self-esteem, cooking and budgeting skills and combat loneliness(Jan 2021) Isle of Wight
- Making Christmas special for care leavers(Feb 2021) Coventry
Return to the Practice Bank