What is important to children in care and care leavers?
The questions in our surveys were developed with children in care and care leavers, to reflect the things they felt made their lives good.
Children and young people stressed the importance of understanding their rights and entitlements and feeling informed about and involved in what happens in their lives.
The questions we ask about rights & voice include whether children and young people feel:
- The reasons why they are in care have been fully explained.
In addition, children in care are asked about whether they:
- Feel included in decision making.
- Know they can speak to their social workers alone.
We also ask care leavers whether they:
- Feel involved in pathway plans.
How are local authorities supporting children and young people’s around rights and voice?
- Involving care leavers in commissioning new supported living accommodation (Jan 2021) Isle of Wight
- Child-centred care plans (Jan 2021) Hampshire
- Child led reviews (Jan 2021) North Somerset
- Using ‘Words and pictures’ and case summaries to explain reason for care (Sep 2020) North Somerset
- ‘Finding the right words’ workshops to help professionals explain to children why they are in care (Feb 2019) Southampton
- Engaging younger children in care about worries in school through Children in Care Council sessions at the homework club (Sep 2019) Bexley
Return to the Practice Bank