What is important to children in care and care leavers?
The questions in our surveys were developed with children in care and care leavers, to reflect the things they felt made their lives good.
Children and young people highlighted how they were sometimes treated differently and stigmatised because of being in care.
Children in care are asked questions about whether they:
- Feel adults do things that make them feel embarrassed about being in care.
- Get to do similar things to friends.
We asked care leavers about their experience of:
- Being treated the same, better or differently as a care leaver.
How are local authorities supporting children and young people’s around stigma and being treated differently?
- ‘The Assembly Squad 2020’:school resources created by children in care to tackle stigma (Jan 2021) Sheffield
- Creating a video about experience of school with young people not usually engaged (Jan 2021) Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
- Engaging younger children in care about worries in school through Children in Care Council sessions at the homework club’ (Sep 2019) Bexley
Return to the Practice Bank