Professional Zone

Independent services for complaints

“We appreciate the effort and seriousness with which you handled our concerns, and want to express our thanks to each of you for your parts in bringing this to a satisfactory conclusion.”

"I found the Independent Person's (IP) contributions to this case very helpful. I am grateful for her input."

Coram Voice offers an Independent Person to assist in the investigation of complaints under the Children Act 1989. The law states that people have the right to make a complaint against Social Services if they are unhappy about their care or their situation.

The Independent Person helps to ensure that the complainant’s views are heard and the process is fair.  By undertaking a thorough investigation, writing comprehensive reports and making clear recommendations to local authorities, IPs are often able to add powerful support to young people and help them to feel that they are valued and listened to.

The service is available to anyone who wants to make a complaint against Social Services. Our IPs are increasingly investigating complaints made by children and young people themselves.  The matters they complain about include:

  • failure to implement care plans
  • not being given access to their records
  • not receiving proper support when they leave care.

Our Independent Persons bring added value to any complaints investigation. The degree of impartiality they offer to the complaints process ensures that the work is robust as well as fair. Feedback confirms the standard of their reports is consistently high. They receive on-going training and support and all their work is quality assured.

For further information, please contact Linda Andrew, Service Manager: National Lead for Independent Services at or call 020 7239 7539.