Young People's Zone

I am a Qualifying Child

What does it mean to be a qualifying child?

After the age of 16, the law gets a bit complicated because you are now a care leaver and different rules apply depending on your age and where you are living. The information below is for you if you are:

  • Are aged 16 - 21
  • Left care on or after your 16th birthday
  • Before that you had been in care for less than 13 weeks since your 14th birthday
  • A 'relevant child' who has returned home for six months or more

If this applies to you then the law says that you are a special category of care leaver known as being a “qualifying child” (the part of the law that says this is Paragraph 24 Children Act 1989).

(To check to see if you are a “qualifying child”, please see our ‘Are you a care leaver?’ page.)

As a qualifying child, Children's Services MUST:

  • Give you advice and support
  • Keep in touch with you
  • Provide or pay for accommodation during college or university holidays if you are studying full-time away from home, up to the age of 25.

Children's Services MAY also:

  • Find you somewhere to live in exceptional circumstances
  • Provide you with other support by buying the items you need directly or, in exceptional circumstances, by giving you cash if your education and welfare needs require it
  • Give you a grant to pay for expenses related to your education, training and work needs up to the age of 25
  • Contribute to living expenses related with your education and training, up to the age of 25.
Did this page make you feel more confident about speaking out about your rights and entitlements?
Much less confidentLess confidentSameMore confidentMuch more confident