My rights as an eligible child

It’s important for you to know what your options are and who can help you make them happen.

Here is some key information based on the questions we hear the most.

Rights in care as a 16 year old

When you turn 16, things change a little.

You may still be in care, living with your foster carers or in the children’s home, but you are  now also a care leaver.

It is important Children’s Services support you to live independently over the next few years.

They must:

  • Provide you with a Personal Advisor (sometimes called a PA)

They are similar to Social Workers, but they work with older young people, supporting them to live independently, or to get ready to live independently.

  • Do a Needs Assessment

This will decide if you are ready to live on your own.

This means that you can do things like cook, wash your own clothes and manage your money.

They will also look at other things such as your health, education and financial needs.

  • Make a Pathway Plan

Once they have done the Needs Assessment, they will create a Pathway Plan with you. This is a really important document and it is important you are part of deciding what goes in it.

We recommend that you take part in the meetings to create your Pathway Plan even if you don’t like meetings – it’s that important!

Our Sorted and Supported guide is for all young people leaving care. It was designed and written for young people with all the information you need about financial support and young people’s rights under the Children (Leaving Care) Act.