What can I do if I don’t like my placement?

If you are in care and don’t like your placement, it is important that you can explain the things you don’t like to your social worker or carers.

First steps

Make a list of the things you don’t like and the changes you want to make things better. You might not get everything you want but it should be possible to sort some things out.

You might feel that nothing can make it better other than moving to a new placement. This is something you can ask for but it may not always be possible.

Who you can talk to about moving

Once you have thought about everything, the next step is to talk to people.

You can talk to:

  • Your carers

When you move in to a new placement, everyone has to get used to each other and your carers will know things might be difficult for you at the start.

If you feel able to, it may help you to share your worries or concerns with them to see if you can find a solution together. Your Social Worker can also help you do this.

  •  Your Social Worker

Your Social Worker should visit you in the first week of living in a new place and then at least every six weeks after that.

It is important that you are able to talk to your social worker about any problems in your placement so they can help you resolve them. If you don’t feel comfortable talking about things in the carer’s home, you can ask your Social Worker to take you out or meet you somewhere different so you can talk freely. School can be a good place to meet.

  • Your Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) 

A LAC Review should be held within 20 working days (four weeks) of you moving to your new placement. This is a good time to talk about any problems.

It can be hard to talk about your problems in meetings, especially if your carers are there. Your IRO should meet with you in private before your review meeting to help you talk freely about any problems.

 What if you don’t feel safe? 

If you are feeling unsafe, you shouldn’t wait for your Social Worker to visit, you should contact them immediately.

If they are not in the office when you call, ask to speak to the duty social worker or your social worker’s manager.

Children’s Services must make sure that you are safe so you should be able to speak to someone when you call.

Making a complaint

If you are still unhappy, you have the right to make a complaint.

It is important that your complaints are heard and taken seriously.

It doesn’t mean you will get everything you want or you will be moved again. Social Workers often don’t want children to move lots of times, so they may try and find a way to make things better without you having to move to somewhere different.

Get Some Help

If you still feel that no-one is listening, you can get help from an Advocate from our Advocacy Helpline.