Through our ‘Always Heard’ helpline, our helpline and community advocates speak to care leavers everyday who are unaware of their rights and entitlements, facing homelessness or in unsuitable housing, unhappy with professional relationships or feeling as though they do not have a voice in decisions being made about their lives.
For this two part course we will develop your understanding on the rights and entitlements of care leavers, and what we can do to advocate on their behalf.
3 February 2021
10 February 2021
Who is this specialist training for?
For professionals and colleagues working with Children and young people. looking to extend knowledge on the topic. The course is suitable for those with little to no knowledge on the topic, and for those who are interested in a refresher.
- Introducing the Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 and the Children and Young Person’s Act.
- Identifying categories of care leavers and their rights and entitlements.
- Understanding common issues faced by young people leaving care.
- What makes a “effective” pathway plan?
- Supporting young people to understand their rights, and the importance of the pathway planning process.
- Exploring the role of the advocate and how to establish an effective advocacy strategy for care leavers.
Scarlett Cowling, Specialist Advocate 16+ and Outreach Advocate